The Saudi Sleep Medicine Group (SSMG) is a medical and research body that is considered as a part of the Saudi Thoracic Society (STS) and is devoted to increase the awareness and knowledge of common Sleep Disorders, to facilitate advances in the treatment of affected people within the Kingdom and to promote research in the field of sleep medicine.
- To investigate the local incidence, prevalence of OSA in Saudi Arabia.
- To identify local characteristics of the illness including its morbidity and mortality.
- To develop national guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of OSA.
- To provide expertise that will address issues related to the education and training of healthcare professionals in the field of Sleep Medicine.
- To promote public awareness through different means including print and electronic media, and public seminars
- To establish a fund for research and patients support
Sleep Medicine is a medical specialty or subspecialty devoted to the diagnosis and therapy of sleep disturbances and disorders. From the middle of the 20th century, research has provided increasing knowledge and answered many questions about sleep-wake functioning.
The rapidly evolving field has become a recognized medical subspecialty in some countries. Dental sleep medicine also qualifies for board certification in some countries. Properly organized, minimum 12-month, postgraduate training programs are still being defined in the United States. In some countries, the sleep researchers and the doctors who treat patients may be the same people.