Article 1: Mission
Article 2: Organisation
Article 3: Objectives
Article 4: Activities
Article 5: Taskforces
Article 6: Membership
Article 7: Ethics
Article 8: Structure
Article 9: Funding
Article 10: SSMG Website
Article 11: Meetings and communications
Article 12: Revision of the constitution and bylaws
Article 1: Mission:
The Saudi Sleep Medicine Group (SSM) is a medical body that is considered as a part of the Saudi Thoracic Society (STS) and is devoted to increase the awareness and knowledge of Sleep Disorders (SD), and to facilitate advances in the treatment of affected people within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Article 2: Organization
The SSM group is a not-for-profit, national group whose directors, executive members and other members receive no compensation. It is registered and operates under the STS. Its central office is located at STS offices in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Article 3: Objectives
- To investigate the incidence, prevalence of SD in the Kingdome.
- To identify unique characteristics of common SD including morbidity and mortality
- To establish effective therapies, which will be accessible to the affected patients
- To provide expertise to areas with healthcare disparities that will address issues related to the education and training of healthcare professionals in the common SD
- To focus on improving the treatment of SD, by promoting research, by educating physicians, and by assisting the development and conduct of clinical trials following the highest standards of clinical research
- To provide consultative services to health agencies and industry regarding advancing the treatment of common SD.
Article 4: Activities
The SSMG will address its objectives primarily by the establishment of focused taskforces that will design and conduct projects across the broad spectrum of research, education and clinical care related to SD.
The activities of the SMG include, but are not limited to the following:
- The SSMG will provide expertise to advise physicians, scientists, health authorities and the healthcare industry regarding medical technologies and pharmaceuticals relevant to SD
- The SSMG will establish a national database on patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) to allow a meaningful understanding of the similarities and differences in the spectrum of the illness between different regions in the kingdom and other countries in the world
- The SSMG will develop web-based, multilingual educational materials, advice and guidelines on the management of common SD accessible to people involved in healthcare delivery
- The SSMG will conduct workshops on the modern methods to evaluate patients, determine accurate diagnoses, and monitor the efficacy of treatments
- The SSMG will conduct periodic national and regional symposia to disseminate information acquired from the SSMG activities, and identify research projects relevant to its activities.
Article 5: Taskforces
The Executive Council (EC) will have the authority to create taskforces whose responsibility will be to provide oversight to the specific activities within the SMG.
Each taskforce will have:
1. One leader selected by the Executive Committee
2. A steering committee selected by the leader of the taskforce
3. Members from the SMG membership
4. There is no limit to number of taskforces, size of taskforce membership and the duration of taskforce activities
5. Taskforces must present an annual report to the Executive Committee
Article 6: Membership
Membership is open to all with an active research and/or educational interest in sleep medicine and related fields. However, the membership should be addressed through the main society, i.e. the STS.
The SSMG recognizes 3 categories of membership
- General members
- Special members
- Executive members
- Open to anyone with an interest in Sleep Medicine
- May be conferred at any time
- Must submit STS application and payment of annual dues
- Membership will be renewed annually by receipt of payment of dues. All members shall pay an annual subscription of an amount to be determined by the Executive Committee
- Membership shall automatically be suspended if the member fails to meet any obligation or make owed payments due to STS. Suspension shall continue until such obligations are met or all sums due to the STS are paid, whereupon such privileges may be reinstated by the Executive Committee
- In special circumstances, dues may be waived by the Executive Committee.
- Membership benefits:
1. Access to the restricted area of the SMG website
2. Eligible for participation in SSMG sponsored symposia and meetings
3. Reduced fees for the SSMG educational meetings and training sessions.
- Must have a degree (MD, PhD, RN, RT)
- May be nominated by executive members at any time
- Must submit application and payment of annual dues
- May be conferred at any time by Executive Committee
- Must participate in at least one taskforce
- Have all entitlements of membership
- Are elected in recognition of a substantial contribution to the understanding and treatment of SD and related fields throughout their career. Nominations for executive membership shall be made in writing to the chairman of SSMG before the periodic business meeting. Each nomination shall be accompanied by a statement of the academic qualifications, professional position and a list of relevant publications and potential contribution to the SMG mission. The chairman of SSMG will select nominees to be presented for election to Senior Fellowship at the periodic business meeting. Membership is confirmed by a simple majority of those voting in favor
- Must submit application, conflict of interest form, copy of C.V, and the annual dues payment
- Take responsibility as leader or co-leader of SSMG Taskforces
- Are responsible for the maintenance of SSMG educational materials
- Have all entitlements of membership and can be elected for Executive Committee membership
Article 7: Ethics
- Members of the SSMG are expected to exhibit high ethical and moral standards consistent with the mission of the group
- Every executive member must submit a copy of their curriculum vitae that will be posted on the SSMG website. The CV must be updated annually
- Failure to maintain current CV will be grounds for dismissal from SSMG activities
- Falsification of the content of documents, including CV, will be grounds for permanent expulsion from the membership of the SMG
- General members may be required to submit copies of their curriculum vitae form upon request of the Executive Committee if it is believed to be relevant to their participation in SMG activities
- Disciplinary Action:
- Any General or Special member may be expelled for adequate reasons as determined by a two thirds vote of the Council of Executive members.
- Any member proposed for expulsion will be given an advance written notice, including the reason for the proposed expulsion
- The Council of Executive members also has the power to remove a member from participation in a taskforce, publication, symposium or any other activity for adequate reasons. Any member proposed for disciplinary action will be given advance written notice, including the reason for the proposed action
- An Executive member may be excluded from the Council of Executive members for adequate reasons as determined by a consensus vote of the Council of Executive members. The adequate reasons for such action can be, but limited to, the following:
- Failure to prove adequate interest in the field of Sleep Medicine
- Failure to maintain adequate interest in different SSMG activities
- Unwillingness to contribute in different Taskforces
- Failure to attend three consequent business meetings
Any Executive member proposed for disciplinary action will be given advance written notice, including the reason for the proposed action.
Article 8: Structure
- SMG Administrative Office is part of STS and is headed by the Head of the STS. The administrative staff is dedicated and salaried by STS
- SMG Executive Committee: An Executive Committee will be formed from the Executive members. This Committee shall be comprised of:
1. SSMG Head, who serves for 2 years but can be re-elected only once. This is a non-salaried position providing strategic leadership for SMG. The Institute Head shall serve as Chair of the Executive Committee.
2. SSMG Vice-Head, who serves for 2 years, but can be re-elected once. This is a non-salaried position that assists the Head and covers him during his absence. He/she also should execute policies of SMG.
3. Managing Director. This is a non-salaried position, has the responsibilities of running the day to day activities and monitoring all task forces work. He/she should serve for 3 years but can be re-elected once.
4. Ten elected Senior Executive Members chosen from the Executive members. These will be for a four year term with 3 members chosen every two years. Their main tasks are to support the work of the Executive Committee
- In his/her absence, the chair of the executive committee will be taken by the Vice Head. In the absence of both the Head and the Vice Head, the members of the committee present shall elect an acting chairperson
- Nominations for election to the Head, Vice Head, and Managing Director of the Executive Committee shall be supported by at least three members and submitted in writing to the Committee Head at least three months before the annual business meeting
- Members of the Executive Committee who retire before the end of their term may be replaced by co-option at the discretion of the remaining members of the Executive Committee
- Seven members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum
- The Executive Committee is responsible for:
1. Initiating and overseeing SSMG activities
2. Approving the Taskforces and Taskforce Leaders
3. Approving membership
4. Establishing meetings
5. Ensuring appropriate consultation with SSMG members on strategy, policy and changes to the constitution
6. Enforcing the disciplinary code
7. Vacancies: If a vacancy for any of the officers occurs for any cause it shall be filled within 30 days by election by the Council of Executive members.
Council of Executive Members (CEM):
- All of the Executive members are members of the CEM. They meet annually, and at the request of the SSMG Executive Committee, to overview, advise and assist with the activities of the Institute
- The CEM elects the Executive Committee
SSM Supportive Groups (SSMSG):
- Open to pharmaceutical companies, government bodies, health/scientific foundations, academic institutions, health organizations
- Membership is nominated by Executive Members, approved by Executive Committee
- Members must pay an annual membership fee to remain active; Pharmaceutical companies will be offered membership for annual fee of $8,000, that can be paid to STS either cash, or be offered as supportive materials for conferences, meetings, educational materials, textbook, website database, etc
- A consultative meeting will be arranged annually between the SSMSG and the SSMG Executive Committee, where progress of the SSMG taskforces will be shared, and topics of interest will be discussed
- Members may sponsor specified activities of the SSMG, subject to Executive Committee approval.
Article 9: Funding:
- Annual dues: The annual membership fee is defined by STS and should be paid through STS. There will be a full membership fee for healthcare professionals and individuals from corporate entities, and a reduced membership fee for professionals in training and the lay public.
- Donations: The SSMG will secure funding from individuals, industry, government bodies, and foundations devoted to supporting the treatment of life threatening diseases. However, all funding and donation should go through STS and should follow its policy
- Membership to the SSMG Supportive Group will require an annual fee. These fees will be used primarily to support operating expenses
- The major source of funding of all SSMG activities will be sought from STS and foundations and organizations that support global health initiatives
- Foundation grants will be applied for in support of taskforce projects
- Pharmaceutical Companies will be offered the opportunity to fund specific taskforces.
Article 10: SSMG Website:
- The website will be maintained by the administrative staff of the SSMG /STS
- The SSMG dedicated website will provide unrestricted information on all members, including their current curriculum vitae and conflicts of interests, information on the current activities and ongoing projects of the Institute
- The website will provide restricted access to educational materials and commentaries provided and maintained by the Executive Members
- SMG website will host a consolidated syndicated summary database based on individual databases of affiliated centers.
- The web site will host a web based, multilingual articles on Sleep Disorders written by the SSMG members
Article 11: Meetings and Communications:
- At least one scientific meeting shall be convened in each calendar year, at which a business meeting shall also be held
- Attendance is required by all of the Executive members; all Special and General members are invited to attend
- At each annual business meeting the agenda will include:
- Review of SSMG activities during the whole year
- Financial report
- Items requiring approval from the membership
- Any other business
- For those unable to attend in person, attendance will be valid if the member can be electronically present (e.g. teleconference or video conference)
- Three-monthly periodic business meetings will also be conducted. At each periodic business meeting, the agenda will include:
- Review of SSMG activities during the last 3 months
- Reviewing the database, website and registry progress
- Any other business
Article 12: Revision of the Constitution and Bylaws:
- Changes to the Constitution and bylaws must be proposed in writing to the Head of the STS and the Head of SMG at least one month before the annual business meeting. For an amendment to be adopted it must be passed by a two-thirds majority of the members present and voting at the annual business meeting
- The SSMG may be dissolved by a resolution passed by a two thirds majority of the Executive Committee and voting at a Special Meeting convened for the purpose, of which 21 days' notice has been given to the members
- Such resolution may give instructions for the disposal of any assets held by or in the name of the SMG institute provided that if any property remains after the satisfaction of all debts and liabilities such property shall not be paid to or distributed among the members of the Institute, but shall be given or transferred to the STS.
- Ratification of the Constitution:
- Tentative approval of the constitution will be done via email by the CEM initially and serve as the effective document until the first meeting of the SMG. At that meeting, formal ratification of the Constitution will be done by those in attendance.